Sunday, September 14, 2014

Welcome to my new food blog, Enhance + Enrich.

Well, hi there! I've had a few people ask me repeatedly if I had a food blog. Yes and no. I have tried this blogging thing a few times in the past; a personal one, a garden one, and my previous NiteOwl food blog and I've let them all lapse for various reasons. The personal one? I'm not a sharing type of person. The garden one? I'm not involved anymore. The NiteOwl one? I loved it, but a friend was maintaining the fees for the site and we decided to just let the domain name lapse. I'm totally fine using a free blog platform. At any rate, you may run across the first two defunct blogs here on Blogger; ignore them. I may bring over some of my posts from the NiteOwl blog at some point, so keep an eye out for them.

I chose the name, Enhance + Enrich, because both words refer to learning and to seasoning foods. I love to read about and research food--the history of cuisines, different techniques, seasonings and ingredients. I also have a passion for educating people about food. There is so much to know and so much new information which comes out about nutrition, new varieties of produce, different cuts of meat, obscure seasonings from around the globe, and new super-foods as well as basic techniques for those who are not as confident in the kitchen.

Cooking doesn't need to be a big production with dozens of ingredients and unfamiliar terms. It should be (relatively) relaxing rather than stressful. It should be a celebration of a few good seasonal ingredients or a bubbling casserole of comfort food. As much as I admire molecular gastronomists, I have no desire to cook like them; I cook like me. And that's what I want to teach you; how to cook like you, according to your tastes, your preferences, and your dietary needs.

So, to that end, I want you to ask me cooking questions. I want to teach you how to be a more confident cook and to rely on your instincts. I want you to try a new recipe and make it your own. I want to show you that veggies can be amazing and not just boring after-thoughts to a meal. I want you to be inspired and I want you to enjoy your food.

In the meantime, let me leave you with one of my favorite quotes from the incomparable Julia Child; "People who love to eat are the best people."

No comments:

Post a Comment