Friday, November 21, 2014

Ruth's Orange-Cranberry Relish

Let me start off by saying that I have no idea who the "Ruth" of this recipe is. All I know is that my grandma knew her at one point, probably back in the 1960s, and ended up with a copy of her recipe. Several years ago, I went through some of my grandma's tried'n'true recipes because I wanted my own copies. The recipe makes a generous quantity, more than enough for the family Thanksgiving dinner, which means since I make the relish, I get to take the remainder home and enjoy it on sandwiches for the next week--yum! 



Ingredients:

1 pound/4 cups fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
2 tsps orange zest

1/2 cup blanched, slivered almonds

Combine the cranberries, sugar, orange juice, water, and orange zest in a large saucepan. Cook over medium high heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until the cranberries pop open. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully skim off the foam. Add the almonds, stir well, and allow to cool before chilling.

Yields about 2 cups.

Cook's Notes:

1. I'm kind of on the fence about the amount of sugar in this recipe. On the one hand, cranberries are rather tart in their natural state. On the other hand, the orange juice adds sweetness & flavor so I think the amount of sugar could probably be reduced. I haven't altered the amounts at all to test this hypothesis, so if you want to change it up, go for it.

2. You can either subsititute pecans or omit the nuts completely. I like the texture; a little crunch to counter the squishy berries but it's up to you.

3. If you don't have a Microplane grater, buy one or put it on your Amazon wish list for Christmas. I use mine for zesting citrus peels, whole nutmeg, chunks of ginger, garlic cloves, & even chili peppers for adding a teeny bit of heat.

Trust me, Ruth's Orange-Cranberry Relish is nothing like the canned sauce. Make up a batch & try it yourself! It also pairs well with pork chops or a pork roast if you get tired of turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment